25 October 2007

Our music lessons: September 19, 2007

Cameron writes...

Yesterday Meghan and I had our first music lessons in France. It was a very interesting experience.

It took a lot of navigation to get there. First we walked all the way up our road, Faubourg de Saverne, until we got to Boulevard du President Wilson. From there we went north-west until we saw Petit rue des Magasins, which we turned north-east onto. We walked up petit rue des Magasins for one block, and then turned north-west again onto Rue des Magasins. We walked up there for quite a long time until we hit a car wash, then we cut straight through there, turned left, and we were there!

The outside of the building was a little shabby, but the inside was much nicer. There were lots of couches on the inside and four doors. One was marked Salle de Guitare (Guitar room), the next was “The big cheese’s room” and the others were Salle 1 and Salle 2(rooms 1 and 2). We could hear guitar coming from the guitar room and piano coming from Salle 2. I was pretty sure Meghan would be going into Salle 2 (as she was playing piano) and I would be going into the Salle de guitare (as I was starting the electric guitar).

At 1:15 it was time for Meghan’s lesson, so we went into Salle 2 (surprise surprise!), there we found her teacher Maxance waiting for us. Inside I noticed there was a piano, a drum set and an amp for an electric guitar. While Meghan played piano with Maxance, I plotted out on the map where several music stores were, as we needed a guitar and keyboard to practice on. Meghan learned that, in France, they learn music with La, Ti, Do instead of A, B, C. I thought that would be very difficult!

An hour and fifteen minutes later, it was my turn, so we walked into the Salle de Guitare. At the beginning I had a choice of three guitars I could practice with during my lesson, so I chose a dark silver one because I liked the colour. My teacher, Emmanuel, went on to show me all the different parts of the guitar, how to tune it, and how to play a few chords. I was having trouble with switching between letters and “Do, Re, Mi”. At the end he showed me how to unplug it and put it away; we thanked him for the lesson and left.

I was very happy with the way my lesson had gone, and couldn’t wait until I got an electric guitar of my own to practice on.

No comments: